The Mojito – A tall, minty, refreshing glass of fabulousness. Known and accepted the world over and should definitely be one of those cocktails that you know how to make off by heart and without skipping a beat.
We have what is affectionately known as the ‘Mojito Farm’ (mint plants) in our back garden and boy does it get a battering thoughout every season. Any occasion is a Mojito occasion.
Trim the Brim with our #6 Mint Sugar and you’ll get a minty, sugary assault on your senses that’ll leave you wanting more.
(Enough for two drinks)
- RUM (the best white RUM you can get – we use Bacardi) 120ml (4oz)
- SUGAR SYRUP 30ml (1oz)
- FRESH LIME JUICE 60ml (2oz)
- #6 MINT COCKTAIL SUGAR
- Extra garnish of Mint Leaves and Lime Wheel or wedge
1. Using good quality ingredients will ensure that the balance of the drink is absolutely perfect.
2. Muddle 4 mint leaves with the sugar syrup in the bottom of a cocktail shaker. You don’t want to obliterate the leaves, just release the flavour of the mint into the sugar. NOW, to a be a little controversial, I always use a teaspoon of light Demerara sugar INSTEAD of the sugar syrup. The purists won’t agree but I would recommend trying both ways and seeing which you prefer.
3. Add the Rum, Lime juice and Ice to the shaker (I always add extra lime quarters to the mix too but ,again, that is personal preference) and shake for 15 seconds.
4. Run a lime wedge around the rim of your glassware (or dip in some sugar syrup) and then dip in to the #6 MINT COCKTAIL SUGAR
5. Strain the contents of the shaker over fresh ice into your freshly brimmed glasses and top up with soda water.
6. Add further garnishes of Mint leaves and a Lime wheel or wedge, stand back, admire, drink.
7. Tag us on the socials @thesaltyrimco, we’d love to know what you think of this cocktail classic.